Welcome to In Her Element, a series that shines a spotlight on some of the remarkable women entrepreneurs I get to work with. The purpose of this series is to demystify what happens in a Thought Partnership; share inspirational success stories; and to highlight tips and teaching points that might help other women entrepreneurs as they walk along their own path.
Meet the Sugar Shift Queen: Michelle MacLean
Michelle’s personal story has been an important influence in the development of her business and brand. A few years ago, the trajectory of her health was headed straight for diabetes. Today, her life is filled with a lot of other sweetness. Freedom. Lightness. Energy. Balanced emotions. No cravings. Pure, whole real foods. And her work now takes people on an 8-week transformation in how you think and feel about your body, about food and about sugar.
When I first met Michelle, I fell in love with her integrity. She is someone who walks her talk in every way. She knew she was making a difference for her clients but she was really run ragged in how she was operating her business. After a year of really hustling she was ready to differentiate her brand in the marketplace and define her key messaging and approach. What unfolded over the last four months has been a complete transformation.
It has been an absolute delight to partner with Michelle and watch her business and brand evolve into a clear and powerful platform with an amazing new signature service. This lovely woman claimed her point of view and stepped solidly into her zone of genius. Learn more about Michelle here.
This is Michelle:
1. What were your top goals when you stepped into your Thought Partnership with Jac?
My top goals were to:
1. Have offerings that come from an authentic place within me and serve a true need for my right people
2. Be on my way to implementing strategic, original, tiered programs and services
3. Initiate the process of a developing new website
4. Reach new audiences and build my list
5. Reduce overwhelm and learn to co-habitate better with my inner critic
2. Whenever we bring an outsider into the tender secrets of our business it can feel really vulnerable. When you hired Jac, what were you most worried about?
I was worried that the initial success I had in my business was coming to an end. My business felt like an apple tree. One that had been picked clean of the low hanging fruit during my first year and I was not sure where the next harvest of apples was going to come from.
3. What impact did your work with Jac have in your business (and life)?
The initial self-discovery work with Jac helped me dig deep into my life experiences and draw out the lessons, learnings and my unique gifts. I believe this process enabled me to be open to seeing the next right steps for my business. I always felt like my right people would show up, and because of the work with Jac, I was able to see and identify them clearly. Jac’s support, encouragement and insight gave me the confidence and courage to step out of my comfort zone and take my business to the next level.
4. What specifically did you achieve?
I accomplished so much more than I ever dreamed we would together:
1. I refined my brand positioning so I could clearly differentiate myself (this included new key messaging and all new copy).
2. Developed and launched a gorgeous new website.
3. Made my television debut! (and they’ve invited me back!)
4. Grew my list by almost 50 percent.
5. Created and launched my brand new signature service called The 8-Week Sugar Shift (and registration is now open!)
Today, my business feels like an apple tree in full bloom all the time with lots of ripe juicy apples.
5. You’ve done incredible things in the last few months, what’s been your proudest moment?
My proudest moment was being interviewed on Global TV. As a former PR and media relations gal, I spent time reacting to negative media converge, pitching corporate angles and securing media opportunities for executives. I always wanted to be in the background. Being in the spotlight was completely different for me and totally out of my comfort zone. I felt very proud that I mustered up the courage to overcome the fear, stand in my passion and truth, and believe that I could do it and do it well.
6. Based on what you learned about yourself in our time together, what’s had the most impact for you? What ideas or concepts do you find yourself wanting to teach or share with others?
I believe that we all need to do own own work first. Whether it’s in our business, our personal lives or our health. If we are truly wanting to make lasting change and reach new heights, it’s got to come from within, by going deep and listening to our hearts. And that there is no one-sized-fits-all approach or quick fixes if we want change to be sustainable. These concepts are integral to my approach to wellness coaching and nutrition consulting.
7. As your Thought Partnership comes to an end, what are the next challenges you’re facing in your business?
In health and wellness, new information surfaces every day. Staying on top of the latest findings, research and trends is key to having a timely, relevant and effective practice. Staying fresh, current and connected to what my right people need is an ongoing challenge.
8. What worked for you about Jac’s approach?
Jac is ferociously supportive, loving, and empowering. Knowing she was there in my corner with brilliant advice, counsel and mentorship gave me the strength, motivation, inspiration and belief in myself to dig deep and take the leap. She helped me make peace with my inner gremlins, kept it simple, cut through the clutter of overwhelm and kept me on track.
9. What are your top tips for hiring a Thought Partner or Coach?
I decided to hire Jac because I got to the end of last year and was at a complete standstill in business planning for this year. I just couldn’t do it alone anymore. I was tired of throwing spaghetti at the wall to see what would stick. I needed a partner who was focussed solely on bringing my unique gifts into my business. Hiring a coach was life changing. I always knew when I was ready it would be Jac. I didn’t really entertain other options. For me there has to be a personal connection, someone you trust, someone who has been there and done their own work. I respect and admired Jac’s integrity, warmth, realness, and fierce belief in her clients. Jac helped me bring the Sugar Shift to life and I’m thrilled to be sharing this transformative, step-by step program with women who are struggling with the negative impacts of sugar. If you’re curious, you can check out my signature program right here.
Michelle MacLean is a certified Wellness Coach and Nutrition Consultant on a mission to help you shift your relationship with sugar so you can change the course of your health and live the sweetest life possible. You can follow her on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest or check out her new Sugar Shift program here.