Welcome to In Her Element, a series that shines a spotlight on some of the remarkable women entrepreneurs I get to work with. The purpose of this series is to demystify what happens in a Brand Brilliance or Thought Partnership; share inspirational success stories; and to highlight tips and teaching points that might help other women entrepreneurs as they walk along their own path.
If you’re raising a teen or young adult, you’ll want to meet: LANI BORTOLOTTI!
Lani is an academic and career coach who helps students find and follow their true path. She discovered quickly as a teacher and mother of two that teens need a unique combination of empowering life coaching and honest, realistic career counseling to unlock their potential. In response, she has developed ‘Epic Direction’ – a special coaching program for teens and young adults that delivers career coaching in a format they embrace and enjoy.
When I first met Lani, it was clear she was ready to focus her business and her brand in one clear epic direction. Instead of continuing to offer a wide variety of services that included corporate and career coaching for adults, she was ready to claim her niche with teens and young adults. Her zone of genius was getting diluted with too many offers for too many people. Together, we peeled away the distractions and focused in on the work that she was most called to do in the world. Lani is a true expert at helping young adults choose a path that will keep them challenged, confident and optimistic about the future so that’s what we helped her claim — loud and proud!
“Teens don’t really think they have all the answers. A lot of them are struggling whether they show it or not. Struggling with school, choices, and career options. We, as parents, want to help them find their way but sometimes we, as parents, aren’t the perfect folks to do that.
Young adults have many people rooting for them: parents, siblings, teachers, guidance counselors; sometimes advisors, tutors, trainers, and specialists too. But not everyone has someone who will carefully, intentionally, and enthusiastically question them, listen to them, assess them and help them chart their course.”
It has been an absolute delight to partner with Lani and to watch her business and brand evolve into a clear and powerful platform with three NEW amazing signature services and a fantastic new opt-in for her e-letter. This amazing woman claimed her point of view and stepped solidly into her zone of genius. Learn more about Lani here.
This is Lani:
1. What were your top goals when you stepped into your Brand Brilliance Partnership with Jac?
- I wanted to focus on clearly defining my business. I had been offering career and academic coaching services for many years, but it was never really defined as my niche market.
- I wanted to figure out who my ideal clients really were.
- I wanted to understand how I could communicate with my “Right People” that what I was offering them was real and authentic and was of great value to them.
- I wanted my website to look and feel like me and to speak to my “Right People.”
2. Whenever we bring an outsider into the tender secrets of our business it can feel really vulnerable. When you hired Jac, what were you most worried about?
I was worried that Jac would want me to be doing things that I was not comfortable with or that did not feel authentic or real to me. For example, I was afraid that she would want me to start being pushy or want me to do develop a crazy email marketing campaign that would be too “in your face” for me. But alas, that did not happen! Her methodology includes asking you what feels right and then moving you forward in that direction.
3. What impact did your work with Jac have in your business (and life)?
Differentiation is one of the most important strategic and tactical activities in which businesses must constantly engage in. I now have a clear understanding of what makes my business more unique and valuable. I know what the distinct benefits are that I am offering my clients and it all feels right.
4. What specifically did you achieve?
- I designed a fabulous website that I am proud to promote.
- I learned about how to produce content and how to offer it through different sources of social media.
- I learned to believe in my business and what I am offering.
5. You’ve done incredible things in the last few months, what’s been your proudest moment?
My proudest moment was when I got to share my new website. I finally felt that everything had fallen into place and the time had come for the big reveal. I felt that everything that I had wanted to say since I began working as a career and academic coach was captured in my new website. The feedback was incredibly positive and supportive.
6. Based on what you learned about yourself in our time together, what’s had the most impact for you? What ideas or concepts do you find yourself wanting to teach or share with others?
I loved learning about my Archetype and how it should impact my brand positioning. Jac taught me that by evoking one archetype strongly and consistently, you enable potential clients to grasp what you’re all about quickly and instinctively. It was fascinating to learn that my Point of View is centered around helping my clients to become more independent and to find their own unique path. They see me as someone who can help them understand their own uniqueness more fully and explore uncharted territory.
7. As our Brand Brilliance Partnership comes to an end, what are the next challenges you’re facing in your business?
Rolling out an effective social media strategy in order to attract my “Right People.” I want to connect with parents and young adults and let them know that I am here to help them in any way I can. I want them to find a direction in life that is engaging and meaningful and in turn improve our world of work.
8. What worked for you about Jac’s approach, style, expertise?
As a CTI coach, I know that good coaching provides an environment where issues can be discussed in total confidentiality; where people are heard but never judged. Trust is quickly developed between the coach and client. Jac saw my business as I see it, created an environment where I could trust her and acted as a mirror for me to reflect on my business and make changes that felt right for me.
9. What are your top tips for hiring a Thought Partner or Coach?
Coaching is like dancing—you have to feel comfortable and trust the person you are with. You need to be in the moment and enjoy the process. You need to listen to the music in your own heart and most importantly, have fun!
Lani Bortolotti is an academic and career coach who helps young adults find and follow their true career path. She developed ‘Epic Direction’ – a special coaching program for teens and young adults that delivers career coaching in a format they embrace and enjoy. Learn more about Lani here and follow her on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
Over to You!
What questions do you have for Lani about her work coaching teens and young adults or about her journey to finding and claiming her brand brilliance? We’d love to hear from you.
Tweets Made Easy
Raising a teen? Meet Lani Bortolotti. She’s helping young adults find their epic direction via @jacmcneil.Tweet this!
Looking for your own epic direction?
Check out The Action Academy Retreat an epic retreat for women entrepreneurs–> early bird rate ends July 15, 2015.